Monday, July 25, 2011

Siren Song





This is a painting by John Williams Waterhouse who is one of my favorite artists. 


Sirens have intrigued me since reading the Odyssey back in High School.  There is so much information out there about these mystical creatures but I'm only going to touch on a few.  

In Greek mythology, sirens were said to be birds with the face of women who sang seductive songs luring sailors to their rocky shipwrecked deaths.  The sirens were said to live on an island of purple flowers, surrounded with cliffs and sharp rocks.  The number of these women seems to change with each story.  In Homer's Odyssey, he speaks of two but other sources count up to five.  He never mentions their names but the most popular in other stories are Peisioe, Aglaope, and Thelxiepeia.  (Can you imagine spelling those names as a kid?) 

Another beautiful Waterhouse Painting. 

In The Odyssey, Homer wanted to know what their entrapping song sounded like, so following Circe's advice, he had his fellow sailors tie him to the mast while he ordered them to plug their ears with beeswax.  He ordered them no matter how much he begged and begged, they were not to untie him but instead tie him tighter.  When they passed out of earshot, the sailors knew by his frowns they were able to release him.  

My favorite Greek version though is the aquatic mermaid stories.  Somethings about them is much more magical and beautiful.  I mean, seriously...anything is more seductive than a bird with a women's face.  That just sorta creeps me out.  *shudders* What is interesting is the fact the word for mermaid in a few other languages are Sirena, Syrena, and Sereia.  I have noticed a few YA books in the last few years starring Sirens. 





I hope this post was magical enough for you and inspiring enough to check out some other tales--no pun intended--about Sirens.  Before I go I wanted to leave a couple pictures of Sirens from Deviant Art.  I'll provide a link to the artist under each pic.  ENJOY! 

Siren by 'shyble      


Last but not least!!! I found this on youtube and am in LOVE with it.  Thought I would share :P


No comments:

Post a Comment